1865 The Great Northern Railway opened the St Albans to Hatfield branch line . Last passenger train on this line was in 1951 and the last goods train in 1964.
1882 Frederick Sander acquired land in Camp Road for his orchid nursery. Building started in 1883.
1883 Albion Road was built.
1884 Hatfield Road Cemetery was consecrated. Cavendish Road was built.
1890 The Crown Hotel opened.
1894 Clarence Park opened. Wesleyan Mission Church started in old shoe factory in Cavendish Road.
1897 Ground was broken for Fleet Works of Smith’s Printing Agency. Building started of Tess Road, Arthur Road and Bycullah Terrace.
1898 Smith’s Printing Agency opened. Wesleyan iron church opened in Hatfield Road on a site later occupied for many years by Camp Liberal Club.
1899 Fleetville Club and Institute opened on corner of Arthur Road and Hatfield Road. Brampton Road, Glenferrie Road, Sandfield Road, Harlesden Road and Burnham Road were built. The mission church of St Paul was established on the corner of Stanhope and Granville Roads.
1900 Nicholson and Co (Coat Specialists) Ltd moved from Manchester and was established at the Beaumont Works in Sutton Road. The firm was based there until the 1970s.
1901 Salvation Army Printing Works moved from London to a site on Campfield Road. The Campfield Musical Instrument Works factory opened.
1903 The recreation ground on Hatfield Road was given by Charles Woollam to the people of St Albans.
1905 Blandford Road was built.
1906 New Methodist Church was built on the corner of Glenferrie Road. Brick built church was completed on this site in 1929 and there were further extensions in the 1980s.
1908 Fleetville Infant and Junior School was opened in Royal Road.
1909 Foundation stone of St Paul’s Church was laid. Church was consecrated in April 1910.
1922 From this year until 1925 Howard Grubb and Sons Ltd, astronomical instrument makers, occupied the Fleet Works vacated by Smith’s.
1923 J.W.Vernon’s Printing Works occupied the Fleetville Club premises and operated here until 1960.
1925 Ballito Hosiery Mills was based at Fleet Works from 1925 to 1967.
1927 The Rat’s Castle pub was licensed.
1928 Fleetville Post Office built on its present site, having moved from Bycullah Terrace.
1932 The British Ribbon Company established in Guildford Road.
1934 St Albans Brushes Ltd established on the north side of Hedley Road.
1938 St Albans Boys Modern School built in Brampton Road. This is now known as Verulam School.
1940 Underground air raid shelters and water storage tank built in the Royal Road school field. In the autumn of 1940 bombs fell on the Camp and Fleetville areas including Eaton Road, destroying two houses (Nos 17 and 19) which were rebuilt post war.
1941 Marconi Instruments Ltd housed its machine shop at the Ballito factory.
1942 Day nursery built on the Royal Road side of the Fleetville Recreation Ground (this is now the Fleetville Community Centre).
1949 Tess Road and Princes Road changed to become Woodstock Road South.
1954 Fleetville Café in Bycullah Terrace was known by this name by this date. There had always been a café here.
1959 Fleetville Library opened by Earl Spencer.
1967 Ballito factory closed. Marconi acquired further space at the former Ballito site. It maintained a presence here until the 1990s, finally pulling out of St Albans in 1995.
1975 Fleetville Junior School moved to its present site on Hatfield Road, which had previously housed St Albans Girls Grammar School and later Sandfield Secondary Modern School for Girls.
1978 The St Albans Islamic Centre established at 141 Hatfield Road.
1982 Fleetville Community Centre opened.
1996 Safeway took over the site from the Co-
2004 Morrisons took over the Safeway site.
2007 Fleetville library closed.
Our thanks to Brian Adams and Elizabeth Gardner of The Museum of St Albans.